Sunday, March 9, 2008

Sports Rivalries

As I sat watching the Nationwide race yesterday in my NC home it became appearent during every commercial break that here in NC there was some big basketball game later in the evening. Hell, there was even a ticker at the bottom of the screen that had a "countdown to tip off" time. Before I continue I must point out that I don't care for game of basketball. Now this game I'm referring to is the Duke vs. UNC game....I guess it is one of the biggest rivalries in North Carolina and people really get amped up for it! This includes my neighbor whose house I was at when the pre game show came on, normally I would not think twice before changing the channel when basketball comes on, but it was not my TV. So during this pre-game I heard a comment that ultimately prompted me to type this post...."I know they have a big one up in Ann Arbor and Columbus, but Duke vs.UNC is the biggest rivalry in all of sports!" All right Mr. Basketball analyst, now your stomping on hallowed ground. (By the way if ya'll don't know I'm from Michigan, and a HUGE UofM football fan) I can't believe that someone would say that there is any rivalry bigger then the Michigan/Ohio State game...because quite frankly there isn't!!! I don't remember who said it, maybe that whack job Dick Vitel, it doesn't matter really, cause they're wrong. Quite honestly I never knew Duke vs. UNC was such a big game until this past week, but I guarantee a lot more people know about at least a few of the 104 meetings between the 2 football powerhouses!
Heres a quote I found that sums it up:

In honor of the 100th meeting between the schools in 2003, US Representative Stephanie Tubbs Jones of Ohio proposed a resolution in the House to recognize Michigan and Ohio State as the "greatest sports rivalry in history." [10]
(By the way the proposition passed)









10 comments:

Unknown said...

Michigan v Ohio State isn't even the biggest rivalry in college football. USC v UCLA is bigger than that. Sorry to bust your bubble, but if you read your quote, it is a rep from OHIO so of course they are biased. UNC v Duke is number 2 behind Yankees v Red Sox. Thats why when it is Mich v OSU, they only get 1 channel, but UNC v Duke gets 4.

beckysan01 said...

Go Blue! Love that Michigan Football!

Noël and Bryan said...

Go Blue!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ski, only problem is State is better than UOM.

Bonnie

Anonymous said...

Ski...
Having trouble adapting to your new home? Have you tried to tell them its not really "the South" yet?

While you a talking shit about my state, check out this article.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/6786719/

You'll also notice KY-Louisville is No. 2. And by the way, nobody in NC gives a shit about football. If you want football, go back to Michigan.

-Dean
P.S. Nice f-ing pajamas :)

Unknown said...

Michigan Sucks!!!

beckysan01 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ski said...

Dean, wish I could say it's nice to hear from you...but then I would be lying! All I gotta say is that if NC was the "south" then it would be called South Carolina, but they already have one those. Anyway, it is cool to hear from you, and I finally realized the reason people get amped up about basketball is because all their football teams suck, except for that fluke up in Ann Arbor, but I will give props to App. State for that win...see I'm humble. Either way it's not really about a basketball/football thing it's about rivalries, and MI vs OSU is the rivalry, hands down.
You know I got no shame man, glad you like the pj's. Stay tuned I will try to come up with some more topics to get the crowd fired up.
You voting for your girl Hillary?

Later

Ski said...

Steve...your entitled to your opinion

Anonymous said...

Well said.